Performing home renovations is part and parcel of being a home owner, but it doesn’t have to cost the earth. There are many ways to keep your home improvements within a budget.
Do your homework
Research ideas and designs from the many TV shows, magazines and websites out there. Decide on a mission statement – ask yourself what you are trying to achieve with a renovation. There are several reasons why people want to renovate – selling the property, updating kitchen or bathroom, or creating a more modern feel to the house. The design decisions you make will be influenced by the reason for the renovation.
Decide whether a professional renovation or DIY is the best value over all. Home renovation companies like South Coast Homes are able to work with you on individual requirements and provide all removals and installations using professional experts and tradesman.
If you are renovating to sell, look for hardwearing items to freshen up the look of the house. For example, grey carpets give a sophisticated feel to the home and won’t show footprints or marks. Visit warehouses rather than retailers – you can pick up end of lines, or save time and money on ordering stock in.
- Equip yourself with the right tools, such as new brushes, edgers, rollers poles and painting benches.
- Don’t scrimp on paint quality – cheap paint will will need multiple coats and may peel.
- A grey undercoat will cover dark or bright colours, limit coats and gives a smoother finish.
- Use oil based enamel on doors for a longer lasting and more professional result.
If you are updating your colour scheme and furnishings, buy in bulk and keep things simple.
- Use neutral coloured paint and create personal touches with more easily replaceable curtains, blinds and furniture
- Using one neutral colour throughout the house makes it appear more spacious. However you can also create more ‘rooms’ with blocks of colour.
- Visit garage sales for unique art and furniture.
- Look out for sales on lighting – use matching lighting throughout the home for a more sophisticated ambience.
To add your own personal style to bedrooms attend free craft or DIY classes at the local hardware store, or look for online tutorials. Stencilling, curtain making or decal can transform a room cheaply with a bit of poster paint and cardboard, or curtains around the bed.
Adding value to your home:
If you are renovating to improve the value of the home here are some ideas that will lift the value of the home well beyond the cost of installing:
- Built in wardrobes
- Second bathroom
- Storage cupboards
- Up to date flooring
- Light fittings.
- New guttering and gutter guards
- Plants and lawn
- Garden sheds
The award winning team at South Coast Homes can provide expert advice and a comprehensive, customised service for all renovations and home improvements. Covering the whole Gold Coast, they provide a reliable and individual service that meets the needs of each customer.